BSCB Image Competition 2012
As author and cartoonist James Thurber once observed "There are two kinds of light - the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures". Cell biology would be nowhere without some photons to drench the otherwise dim and often lifeless specimens that we so carefully produce. Thanks to some remarkable developments in microscopes and staining tools, we can easily capture images and sit in awe and wonder at the hitherto invisible beauty found in nature. So what makes an image an outstanding image? Is it the biology underlying? Is it the technical prowess of the sample maker? Is it the composition or colour choice? Is it all these together? It is probably all or at least most of the above.
The BSCB is pleased to announce the 2012 BSCB Image Competition that aims to promote excellence in cell imaging. Entries should illustrate cell biology in any form and the winning images will be used as cover art for the newsletter. The closing date for entries for the 2012 competition is 27th June 2012. Please see the full rules and entry requirements below and note you must be a current member of the BSCB to enter.
- This competition is open to members of the British Society for Cell Biology. Entrants must be a member at the time of submission of entries.
- Only one entry per person is allowed.
- The subject matter of competition entries is flexible but must reflect current research in “Cell Biology”.
- Entrants must supply their name, address, email address, and BSCB membership number on entry.
- Entries must be sent by email (10 x 11.96 cm 300 dpi) to Paul Andrews (email@example.com). Note shortlisted entries may be requested to be supplied on CD as 600 dpi JPG saved at maximum resolution sized at 196 mm wide x 230.5mm high and in RGB colour mode.
- At the time of submission, entrants must state clearly that they are the creator of the submitted image.
- Your entry should adopt the file name initial_surname.jpeg e.g. a_einstein.jpeg.
- Entrants should supply a concise stand-alone caption limited to 50 words as a MS Word document on the same CD, labelled initial_surname_caption.doc.
- The deadline for entries is (June 27th 2012)
- Entries that do not conform to the entry requirements will be disqualified.
Prizes will be awarded as follows:
- 1st Prize £100,
- 2nd Prize £75,
- 3rd Prize £25
- Entries will be anonymised prior to judging.
- The organisers reserve the right to cancel this competition at any stage, if deemed necessary in their opinion, and if circumstances arise outside their control.
- The organisers' decisions are final in every situation and no correspondence will be entered into.
- Entries will be published on BSCB webpages and will also be used to illustrate BSCB newsletters and other promotional material. Copyright will remain with the creator. If you do not agree that images may be used as stated you must stipulate this on the entry form.
- Entrants will be deemed to have understood the competition rules and accepted them and agree to be bound to them when entering the competition.