Honor Fell / Company of Biologists Travel Awards
Honor FellTravel Awards are sponsored by the Company of Biologists (the publishers of The Journal of Cell Science
and Development) and they provide financial support for BSCB members at the beginning of their research careers
to attend meetings. Applications are considered for any meeting relevant to cell biology. The amount of the award
depends on the location of the meeting. Awards will be up to £300 for UK meetings (except for BSCB Spring Meeting
for which the full registration and accommodation costs will be made), up to £400 for European meetings and up to £500 for meetings in the rest of the world.
Download and print an application form in PDF format
Completed applications should be sent to the Honor Fell / Company of Biologists Travel Awards Secretary and must contain the following:
- the completed and signed application form
- a copy of the abstract being presented
- a copy of the completed meeting registration form
- details of registration, travel and any other costs that will be claimed
You will need Adobe Acrobat to display the above form
The following rules usually apply (at the discretion of the Committee):
- Awards are normally made to those in the early stages of their careers (students and postdocs)
- Applicants must have been a member for at least a year (or be a PhD student in their first year of study).
- No applicant will receive more than one award per calendar year and three in toto.
- The applicant must be contributing a poster or a talk.
- No lab may receive more than £1000 per calendar year. Awards are discretionary and subject to available funds.
- If proof of payment for ALL costs claimed is available at the time of application, successful applicants will be awarded a grant in advance of the meeting.
- If proof of payment for ALL costs is not available at the time of application, successful applicants will be awarded a provisional grant and a cheque will be sent when BSCB have received the receipts.
- Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Dame Honor B. Fell FRS (1900-1986) was a pioneer of organ, tissue and cell culture and worked prominently on cartliage and bone formation. Her long career led to Directorship of The Strangeways Laboratory in Cambridge. BSCB is proud to associate these Awards with her enthusiasm for science and persistence in experimentation.
The level and number of Awards offered are possible due to a generous grant from The Company of Biologists.